RULES OF GOVERNANCE
When dealing with public projects, rules of governance apply which act as guidelines for the interactions between all stakeholders on the project. Part of BIM One’s responsibility was to create the required documentation to support those processes. This applies to confidentiality and communication protocols as well, and our well-trained team worked hard to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
City of Quebec's transition to BIM
The BIM deployment project in Quebec City consists of:
- Supporting the City in developing a vision and strategic direction with regards to BIM;
- Ensure BIM is deployed optimally both internally and on projects (Principle BIM managers);
- Ensure the benefits of BIM deployment are realised and any related risks are hedged;
- Assist the City in developing asset management practices to facilitate the transfer of information between the BIM platforms and the City’s asset management tools (Maximo, Tririga).
Location: Quebec, QC, Canada
Duration: 2017 – 2019
Our client: City of Quebec
Our role: Main BIM Manager
OUR ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A challenging aspect of BIM management is obtaining required deliverables based on BIM processes without unduly interfering with project stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Internally: We are keenly aware of the challenges that such a requirement poses on the departments. Stakeholders are gradually onboarded after identifying their specific advantage gained by leveraging BIM processes. For example, being able to use the data from 3D models for the operation and maintenance of facility assets (7D). This in itself increases by tenfold the total value of adopting BIM processes.
- Externally: It is essential to acknowledge the duties and responsibilities of each stakeholder. BIM One’s role is one of support and monitoring. We have the responsibility of deploying a strategy that will fulfill the client’s BIM requirements, all while facilitating the work of the design and construction teams. We exercise prudence and avoid taking actions that potentially interfere with the responsibilities of other stakeholders and their mandates. Instead, it is crucial to know how to involve stakeholders without increasing the costs of services rendered.
Since the project with the City involves many construction projects, it was essential to standardize the practices and documentation across all projects to unify the deliverables provided to the City. Since the stakeholders involved in each project are potentially different, our team has to maintain a clear boundary for these standards to be respected. This garanties their easy integration into the deliverables so as to avoid rework that otherwise would be needed to adapt the content to the standards.
The success of projects that involve a high level of innovation such as BIM projects, require a great degree of collaboration between teams, and with client-side project management. Our team is made up of BIM experts with exceptional communication skills and the knowledge required to make communication effective and documented appropriately.
In the BIM approach, collaboration is an essential ingredient to the smooth running of the project. Although technical proficiency is a must-have in any team member, the proactive and can-do attitude of those teams can make the difference between mediocre and exceptional delivery. Following best practises, correct execution of implementation strategies and thorough quality assurance are key success factors on this type of project. The BIM One team has extensive experience in meeting and exceeding these requirements. Here is a non-exhaustive list of methods we use to achieve these objectives:
- BIM coordination meeting
- Model exchange assistance
- Model coordination meeting
- Monthly progress report
- Resource evaluation and training